VIDEO: The Real L Word girls address lesbian stereotypes

Hey everyone!

Have you been watching the Real L Word season 2? I have a lot of thoughts about the show that I will be writing up after the season finale on Sunday.

In the meantime, here is an interview in which the girls of the Real L Word discuss the “common misconceptions” about lesbians. They all seem as frustrated as I am by the creeping doubts people have whenever a lesbian doesn’t look the way we are “supposed to.”

Enjoy!

What did you think? What are some common misconceptions about lesbians that you’d like to set right?

Related Articles

Advertisements

Tags: , , ,

Categories: The Archives, Video

6 Comments on “VIDEO: The Real L Word girls address lesbian stereotypes”

1. July 30, 2011 at 2:46 pm #

Wow I love this! I’m super femme and I am only out to a few people, but everytime I come out as bisexual to someone they always say “No WAY! Your so girly!” Uggghhhh sometimes I hate that :(

Love your blog btw!

• July 31, 2011 at 9:41 am #

I know the feeling!

P.S. – I’m glad you are loving the blog!! :)

2. July 30, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

another one i’d have to say is about bisexuality (or, in my case, being queer) – either you are ‘on the fence’ or ‘haven’t decided yet’.

• July 31, 2011 at 9:45 am #

Ha! I hear ya. I came out as a lesbian and my dad still asks me sometimes if I’m sure I’m not bisexual.

Also I don’t understand why that would even matter at all bc I am in love with/engaged to a woman. Guess he thinks that all bisexuals end up with men.

3. Lauren
    August 8, 2011 at 3:14 am #

postmarked heart: when i was coming out to myself, i first defined myself as bisexual because, to me, it was easier to deal with. there was always the possibility of ending up with a guy. now i know that’s never going to happen, but it was a stepping stone. thats what i think bisexuality is for some people: just a stepping stone to who they really are.

• August 8, 2011 at 10:14 am #

@lauren: i defined myself as bisexual when i first came out, too, then a lesbian, and now queer.

i think you have a point in that many people do identify as bisexual at first, when they are trying to make sense of their sexuality. that said, the idea of it being a stepping stone for everyone can be really damaging to those who only and always identify as bisexual or queer.

i know you aren’t saying it’s a stepping stone for everyone; just trying to clarify my original point about biphobia.

and @femmeonamission: agh, i get that too. my best friend still thinks i’m going to end up with a cisgender male. . . which isn’t likely as i’m more attracted to queer folks.